Fire Uproots Employees’ Lives
One of the most common reasons why HCR ManorCare employees ask for grant assistance is due to a fire. Many of your fellow employees become homeless after losing their homes to flame, smoke and water damage.
One employee had just moved into a new apartment. She had not yet unpacked, and all of her family’s possessions were stacked in boxes in her dining room and kitchen. An uncontrollable cooking fire broke out in the kitchen, and within moments, the family had to evacuate with only the clothes on their back. The employee, a single mother of four children, had to move her family to a hotel in the middle of the night.
A newborn baby had just been brought home from the hospital when a fire broke out in the apartment complex of another employee. The employee, her spouse, five children and newborn baby were temporarily relocated to a shelter for one night by the Red Cross. The next morning, with no family or friends in the area, this family of eight had to find a place to live. They needed beds for their children, food to eat and clothes to wear.
These are just two of the stories in which your fellow employees have become homeless due to a house or apartment fires and were helped by your donations to the Hug Fund. Relocation expenses, household necessities, food, clothing and other items have been provided for these families.
To be uprooted from the comfort of your home without any of your belongings would be difficult for anyone to handle. The entire experience is life-changing and financially devastating. While Hug Fund donations cannot replace all of the items that our employees have lost in a home fire, they can enable these families to get through a difficult time by meeting their urgent needs.